I always find it really difficult to find quick and easy recipes you can make for tea without either having the most random ingredients pre-stocked in your cupboard, or taking a shopping list longer than your arm to the supermarket.
I have finally found a simple, quick recipe for vegan burgers which relies mainly on a couple of tins and spices I usually have in the cupboard anyway.
Here it is…
1 400g tin of chickpeas (drained)
1 can of sweetcorn (large)
3 tbsp flour, and some for the surface when forming the burgers
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Optional to serve –
ciabatta burger buns
tomatoes and gherkins (sliced)
1. Drain the chickpeas and sweetcorn and pop them into a food processor. Whizz it up until it’s combined slightly.
2. Add in the flour and spices, as well as the zest and juice of the lemon. Whizz it up again so it’s all mixed together. It doesn’t have to be completely smooth – it’s good to have some texture.
3. On a floured surface, tip the mix out and divide into four burgers of equal size. It’s a good idea (if you have the time) to pop them in the fridge to firm up before frying so they stay together.
4. Fry them in a bit of oil on a medium heat until they’re golden brown, flipping them half way through.
5. Prep the bread/salad if you’re having it. Serve with any sauces you fancy. They go great with sweet potato fries!